The main features of Atomia DNS and the system setup.
The main features of Atomia DNS are:
- Programmatic interface: You can integrate Atomia DNS with your application by using the SOAP interface of Atomia DNS.
- Scalability: You can scale the DNS system up by adding more servers.
- Realtime updates: Support for massive amounts of zones without reconfiguration downtime.
- Always valid DNS-data: It is impossible to add bad zone-data to the database.
- Several data centers: Administrate DNS servers in different data centers.
The above image shows an example infrastructure setup where DNS servers are placed in different data centers. The Atomia DNS API and Atomia DNS database can either be installed on the same machine (default) or on separate machines.
Atomia DNS functionality
The Atomia DNS system consists of:
- Atomia DNS Master server: The master server includes the Atomia DNS API that is used for communicating with nameservers and also used by external applications to provision DNS-data. Also on the master server is the Atomia DNS database which contains DNS-settings for all nameservers. It’s possible to install the Atomia DNS API and Atomia DNS database on different machines.
- Atomia DNS PowerDNS Nameserver: The nameserver includes the popular PowerDNS nameserver configured to use a local MySQL database for zone data. All nameservers will also have the Atomia DNS PowerDNS Sync application installed which provisions changes to the local database and also settings and keys needed for DNSSEC.
- Optional Atomia DNS Bind-DLZ Nameserver: The nameserver includes the popular BIND nameserver configured to use a local database instead of zone files. All nameservers will also have the Atomia DNS Sync application installed which provisions changes to the local database and also settings for BIND from the data in the Atomia DNS database.